Wednesday 4 April 2007

Passover in Galilee

Passover is one of three feasts that is meant to be celebrated in Jerusalem - but for many it was just impossible for them to attend for various reasons.
Jesus was very Jewish - as a child he attended Jerusalem with his parents for the feast, as an adult he attended the feasts and could be found on the Sabbath worshipping in a Synagogue.
But one year, Jesus didn't go to Jerusalem for Passover, instead he stayed in Galilee:
"Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias), and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick. Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples. The Jewish Passover Feast was near." John 6:1-4
Then Jesus did the most amazing thing - he broke bread and multiplied it and fed 5000 men - here is the heart of Jesus, he could have gone to Jerusalem, but for those who could not go he brought Jerusalem to them. And yet, these sons and daughters of Israel were so occupied with the miracle they missed the connection.
"The next day the crowd that had stayed on the opposite shore of the lake realized that only one boat had been there, and that Jesus had not entered it with his disciples, but that they had gone away alone. Then some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus.
" John 6:22-24
Then Jesus tried to explain to them the significance of the Bread.
"Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."
Jesus was talking to Jews about Jewish matters - they should have understood - Jesus was saying "I am your Matzah, you couldn't go to Jerusalem, so I have come to you, I am your passover lamb, I am your substitute."




No comments: