Monday 14 May 2007

Mothers' Day

I must say by the time I get to Mothers' Day I'm pretty well 'mothers dayed out'.
Mothers' Day started Monday for me at Kids Klub - making cards, baking cookies, icing & decorating cookies with a group of kids aged 5 to 10. Tuesday it was mainly music - a really special morning tea - special coffee, jelly slice, timtams - then a special gift of home made cookies to take home with a special card attached. Wednesday it was Home League - a special outing for the ladies to a beautiful property that has been turned into a garden [used for weddings etc...] - what an incredible place even with the drought - it had greened up wonderfully after a few days of rain - the couple who own the place provided a sing-a-long back at the house as well as a magnificent afternoon tea - then as the ladies left I gave them a beautiful homemade bookmark with a prayer on it and a small chocolate in the shape of a beetle [busy creatures just like mums]. Thursday preparing for Sunday - making sure everything was just right to celebrate Mothers' Day.
Mothers' Day brings up so many different emotions - some really positive - some really negative - and the whole range in between. For me personally - Mother is different people:
1 - Joan - the woman who gave birth to me - Joan's perception of love was greatly distorted - she did the best she could with her concept of what life/motherhood/family was about - but in many ways it missed the mark and has left some deep scars [evidence of what has been - but healed].
2. Glad - the woman who in my informative years became my 'mother' - Glad had no children of her own - but loved me unconditionally - was there for me - she had no real concept of what life at home was like for me - but she was my safe haven - she was the one I could pour my heart out to and know it would stay with her - Glad's prayers kept me all through those hard years - brought healing to my life - gave me hope!
3. Keeva - the woman who in my early officership became my 'mother' - Keeva came into my life at my first Women's Ministries camp in WA when I was fresh out of college - we became mates instantaneously - she filled the ache in my heart for an older woman to be friend/confidant - someone who I could just be with - who graciously adopted me and my husband and when Letitia came along became 'nana' to her - and we became part of her family in every way - she even gave us an adoption certificate which gives us equal rights in her family as if we had been born into it.
Each of these women are part of me and who I am and I thank God for them each - they have brought so much to my life - and I am who I am today because of them.
Joan lives in a nursing home in Queensland - God may she experience your love in all its fullness.
Glad is with God - Thank you God for lending her to me!
Keeva is in WA still - God continue to use her to bring blessings into others lives.
As for me - I just love being a mother - my daughter is so precious - she has grown into a beautiful young lady - and I thank God everyday for entrusting her to me - for His help through the years of nurturing her - I know He has great plans for her! Love you Tish!

No comments: