Thursday 17 January 2008

Pasquinade

A slight adaptation of something I heard Bill Hybels share.



“If I vision cast with the tongues of men and angels but live and lead without the love of God at the core of who I am. I am a ringing cell phone or worse a clamouring, vacuous, corporate type.



If I have the gift of leadership and can provide direction and build teams and set goals, but fail to exhibit Christlike kindness or give Christ the credit for my accomplishments, in the eyes of God all my achievements count for precisely nothing.



If I give my salary to the poor, my vast library of books to a cadet, my local officers’ bodies to be burned, but neglect to relate and work in a manner worthy of the One who’s name I bear, in the final analysis, it all counts for precisely nothing.



A close, humble walk with Christ never fails, it strengthens the heart, it redirects the will, it restrains the ego, it purifies the motives, it never fails.



When I was a young leader, independent and too busy to pray, I blew stuff up and wounded every third person I led. But now that I am mature, and have left my childish ways, I do that somewhat less.



And now these three remain, the faith to follow God boldly, the hope to press on even when your heart is breaking, the love to enrich the hearts of all of those I lead, and the greatest of these is the love that only comes from a quiet, close daily walk with Christ.”

No comments: