Sunday 20 April 2008

My Dad

My dad would have been 86 today!
When I was little he always called me his little 'imp' [someone who is playfully mischievious] which I guess summed me up pretty well then and still does now! He knew me well!
For a few years before I married I lived at home with just dad & mum ~ it was different with my siblings gone ~ dad & I had some great debates/discussions ~ we shared the running of the house ~ my dad had an amazing mind ~ maths came natural to him ~ he was a force to be reckoned with when it came to chess ~ in all card games he knew every card that had been played and who played it. I learnt so much in those few years!
When we had been married just over a year we moved to Melbourne and not long after that my parents moved to Queensland. After that I only saw my dad in person 3 times:
My parents came to my commissioning in 1980 which was busy and rather hectic, but we did manage to get some time together ~ he was so proud!
Then they came and stayed with us in Busselton for a couple of weeks ~ we showed them around ~ I had some wonderful walks along the beach in those weeks ~ just dad & me ~ we talked about so many things!
Then in 1993 we travelled to Townsville for their 50th wedding anniversary and they met our daughter ~ it was the only time she met her grandparents ~ during our time there dad & I were able to talk again ~ he was in the early stages of Alzheimers ~ he had things he needed to share ~ he needed to say goodbye while he was still able ~ he made some requests which we discussed ~ we came to an agreement.
As always he was right ~ his predictions of his illness ~ what the future held for him ~ my part in that future ~ everything was as he said it would be.
Then on Friday 11th February 2005 he went home to be with His Lord!
It was time for me to keep my promise ~ we had said our goodbyes over 11 years ago ~ so the day my dad was buried in Townsville ~ I spent the time alone ~ I sang his favourite song and remembered the man I called "DAD"
So today on his 86th birthday again I sing his favourite song:
1.
Life is a journey;
Long is the road,
And when the noontide is high
Souls that are weary
Faint 'neath their load,
Long for the waters, and cry:
Chorus:
The well is deep and I require
A draught of the water of life,
But none can quench
My soul's desire
For a draught of the water of life;
Till one draws near
Who the cry will heed,
Helper of men in their time of need,
And I, believing, find indeed
That Christ is the water of life.

2.
Life is a seeking,
Life is a quest,
Eager and longing desire;
Unto the true things,
Unto the best,
Godward our spirits aspire.
3.
Life is a finding;
Vain wand'rings cease
When from the Saviour we claim
All we have longed for,
Solace and peace,
And we have life in His name.
...........and I remember the man I called "DAD"

No comments: