Tuesday 10 July 2007

Life is a journey

On Saturday I popped into the hall to pick up some music for Sunday - while I was there I noticed 3 messages on the answer machine so I listened to them - normally I would just record them and fix them on Monday - the first was a lady asking could we ring back as soon as we got this message - the next two were hang-ups [no message left] - my immediate response was to ring the lady - what a tragic story she had to tell - she just needed someone to share with outside the circumstances - someone to listen - not judge - just hear what she was saying.


On Sunday I felt lead by God to share some of my Dad's story - an incredible man who many years ago made an amazing commitment - which he kept until the day he died.


Yesterday a man came to the office door - he was scruffy, dirty, looked like he'd had a hard night on the tiles - he just wanted someone to listen - so we sat in the office - he poured out his heart - he was a grandpa overwhelmed by the tragedies of life - just wanting the immense pain to subside to sadness - he could cope with sadness - maybe even find hope again - it will be a long journey.


Over and over my dad's favourite song raced through my mind - my heart melted with the realization of those words - I wanted to be the one who drew near, to be the helper of men in their time of need - but more than that I wanted this man to know that "Christ is the water of life". He does!!!!



Life is a journey;
Long is the road,
And when the noontide is high
Souls that are weary
Faint 'neath their load,
Long for the waters, and cry:

The well is deep and I require
A draught of the water of life,
But none can quench
My soul's desire
For a draught of the water of life;
Till one draws near
Who the cry will heed,
Helper of men in their time of need,
And I, believing, find indeed
That Christ is the water of life.
~ Albert Orsborn

No comments: